By Sue Botos
If it’s springtime (at least according to the calendar), it’s time for a Northeast Ohio tradition: the annual WVIZ/PBS televised auction. This year a more local flavor will be added to the event in the form of 13 “Destination Boards,” which will feature entertainment, dining and other unique packages found in neighboring communities, including Rocky River.
The auction will be aired April 25-28 (3 p.m. to 1 a.m. Thursday and Friday, and noon to 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday). Throughout the 40-plus hours of the event, viewers will have the opportunity to bid on more than 4,000 items, ranging from practical to whimsical.
Rocky River’s Destination Board will debut on April 28 during the 5 p.m. hour, and the segment will be hosted by Kory Koran, the city’s economic development director, and Bill Brink, marketing manager for Beachcliff Market Square. Both say they are looking forward to their screen debut.
Special Rocky River items up for bid are expected to include the following:
• A boat outing for six – Freedom Boat Club
• Beyond Com“Pair” spa package for two – Charles Scott Salon & Spa
• Hotel and restaurant package – The Woods and Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center
• Wellness package – Tomorrows Hair Salon, Massage and Wellness Center
• Pony Camp – Rocky River Stables
• Gift cards – Ferris Steakhouse, Tartine Bistro, Burntwood Tavern, Pearl of the Orient, Brown Aveda Salon
• Pampering basket – Pure Enchantment and Girls Got Swing
All proceeds support WVIZ, Northeast Ohio’s public television station. During auction hours, bids may be called in at 216-578-2525 or 866-393-2525. Visit www.wviz.org/auction 24/7 to preview items and to bid securely.