Lakewood OH

Two cats rescued in Beaumont home’s dryer fire


North Olmsted

Several North Olmsted firefighters and their oxygen mask for pets were the cat’s meow for two felines caught in a Friday night fire on Beaumont Drive.

While battling an accidental fire that started in a clothes dryer in the duplex home at about 8:44 p.m., firefighters utilized the pet equipment and were able to save two of three cats in the house. Firefighter Mike Kopycinski got the felines out of the house and to the gear.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever used the equipment,” firefighter Ron Prebis said. “It went pretty smoothly. One of the cats we got caught didn’t seem to need it too much, but the other one was panting pretty badly, so (firefighter) Frank (Selig) put it (the equipment) together and I got the mask on. I thought once it started feeling a little better it might claw me, but it seemed OK with it.”

Lt. Don Swan said the firefighters were able to knock the fire down quickly.

“‘That helped in being able to take care of the cats quicker,” he said. “It was pretty busy there with dealing with the fire and making sure the different people were OK as well.”

Swan said neither family members nor firefighters were injured. He said firefighters left the scene after about two hours. There was no serious damage to any other structures as a result of the fire, officials said.





RSS Syndication