By Cynthia Schuster-Eakin
There is bad news and there is good news for West Side Cleveland diners.
The good news is that the suspected buyer is a Cleveland dining landmark.
Rumors have been floating around town that O’Malley’s Rockcliff has been purchased by Ferris Steak House.
“It’s not a rumor. It’s true,” Judith O’Malley confirmed. “We’re still working on everything. But we’re hoping to make the transition by June 1, when the restaurant will become Ferris Steak House.”
Judith and husband Michael O’Malley opened O’Malley’s Rockcliff at 2589 Wooster Road in 1993, in a building previously occupied by Pat Joyce’s. They specialized in preparing steaks, including hand-carved filet mignon and prime rib, in a wood-burning oven. Entertainment by a piano player on weekends added to the restaurant’s old-time vibe. When Michael O’Malley passed away a few years ago, his wife continued to run the dining establishment on her own.
A third generation of family operates Ferris Steak House, established at 8700 Detroit Road in Cleveland in 1940 by Ellis and Adele Ferris. Their sons Sam and Fred greeted and served customers together for more than 50 years. Two of Sam’s children, Bruce and Mary Jane, combined their talents in the mid-1990s to preserve the restaurant’s legacy as a quality steak and chop house.